Those lucky enough to welcome a horse into their life often wonder how they can show him how much he means to them. Cowgirls sure do love their horses! If you want an incredible bond and the opportunity to show some love to your equine friend than follow these five tips.
- Groom him! What a great way to spend some one-on-one time. Find a quiet stall or barn area and set to work. This is the perfect time to connect with him and learn his body. You should check over his legs and the entire length of his neck, stomach, and hind for cuts, heat, and other abnormalities. Being a good horse owner is all about keeping him healthy, happy, and feeling his best.
- Yummy treats are the way to go! Apples, carrots, peppermints, and more can get your horse following you around. He won’t want to leave your side and miss a delicious snack!
- Hand grazing allows you to just hang out with your buddy. He will be grateful to get out of the stall or field and nibble on some green grass. He won’t forget that extra 15 minutes you spent with him. After you go for a ride and he’s cooled down, a few minutes of hand grazing is a pleasant ‘thank you’ to him.
- Try a massage session. There are a ton of books and videos on the topic! You can try out a few techniques on him and I’m sure he’ll be glad you did.
- A trust building activity can be something new and exciting. Instead of always trail riding or heading for the arena, change it up! Keep your horse’s mind entertained by challenging his trust in you. This could include a bombproofing clinic, trail challenge, or even a ride on the beach.
Not all horses will enjoy or response to the same things. One important thing you can do is spent quality with him. During this bonding time, you’ll quickly learn what he likes and doesn’t. Horses will try their hardest for their owners. Make sure to show your horse how much you love him in return!