You and your horse can have so much fun this winter! You just need to get creative and think outside of the box. There are a ton of activities you can try from riding in the snow to teaching them tricks. You don’t have to hibernate all winter, instead head out to the barn and have a blast!
Winter Activities to Try with Your Horse
- Take a bareback ride through the snow.
- Go for a sleigh ride!
- Give skijoring a try.
- Saddle up for a fun trail adventure.
- Teach your horse a trick, such as bowing, kissing or fetching.
- Give your horse a massage.
- Practice your clipping skills.
- Bond with your horse over a long grooming session.
- Try some in-hand work like long lining.
- Build an obstacle course to tackle (in-hand or under saddle).
- Stage a photoshoot!
- Trailer your horse to a winter show.
- Brush up on your horse’s ground manners.
- Create an enrichment activity for your horse.
- Make some homemade treats and let your horse sample some.
- Desensitize your horse to a scary object like a trap or umbrella.
- Try some yoga on horseback.
- Take your horse for a walk and hand graze them.
- Give liberty training a try!
- Learn your horse’s vital signs.
What fun activities can you come up with?