Our Newsletter to your inbox every week!
Quesadillas are an easy and satisfying meal that just about everyone can agree on. Start with cheese and flour tortillas and add other ingredients for awesome meal. Quesadillas also make a great “clean out the fridge meal” for random vegetables too.
These black bean and chipotle quesadillas are packed with protein and plenty of smoky chipotle flavor.
- 4 medium sized (10 inch) flour tortilla wraps, I like to use whole wheat
- 8 slices chipotle cheese
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons ground chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ancho pepper
- 6 slices well cooked bacon, I use turkey bacon
- 1 whole avocado, sliced into quarter in pieces lengthwise
- Oil for cooking
- Assemble the quesadillas, this recipe makes two whole quesadillas. Add two slices of cheese to each wrap.
- Take your black beans, chipotle, cumin and ancho pepper and add it to a mixing bowl. Stir and then mash the black beans until they are no longer round and start to stick together.
- Divide the black bean mixture in half and spread it over two wraps. I like to just use my hands and pat down to ensure everything sticks together nice and flat.
- Top each wrap with black beans with 3 slices of bacon and divide the avocado slices among the two wraps as well.
- Take the second wrap with chipotle cheese and top each filled wrap, now you have two quesadillas ready to be cooked.
- Warm 1 tablespoon of oil over a medium heat in a large skillet and put the first quesadilla in. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes until the bottoms start to brown. Flip, removed from the heat and cut into quarters.
- Drizzle with sour cream or serve with salsa and fresh herbs.
- Repeat these steps for the second quesadilla.
Recipe and photos via Horses & Heels.