Quesadillas are an easy and satisfying meal that just about everyone can agree on. Start with cheese and flour tortillas and add other ingredients for awesome meal. Quesadillas also make a great “clean out the fridge meal” for random vegetables too.
These black bean and chipotle quesadillas are packed with protein and plenty of smoky chipotle flavor.
- 4 medium sized (10 inch) flour tortilla wraps, I like to use whole wheat
- 8 slices chipotle cheese
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons ground chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ancho pepper
- 6 slices well cooked bacon, I use turkey bacon
- 1 whole avocado, sliced into quarter in pieces lengthwise
- Oil for cooking
- Assemble the quesadillas, this recipe makes two whole quesadillas. Add two slices of cheese to each wrap.
- Take your black beans, chipotle, cumin and ancho pepper and add it to a mixing bowl. Stir and then mash the black beans until they are no longer round and start to stick together.
- Divide the black bean mixture in half and spread it over two wraps. I like to just use my hands and pat down to ensure everything sticks together nice and flat.
- Top each wrap with black beans with 3 slices of bacon and divide the avocado slices among the two wraps as well.
- Take the second wrap with chipotle cheese and top each filled wrap, now you have two quesadillas ready to be cooked.
- Warm 1 tablespoon of oil over a medium heat in a large skillet and put the first quesadilla in. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes until the bottoms start to brown. Flip, removed from the heat and cut into quarters.
- Drizzle with sour cream or serve with salsa and fresh herbs.
- Repeat these steps for the second quesadilla.
Recipe and photos via Horses & Heels.