Warmer weather is always a sure sign that flies will be on the attack soon. They can pester your horse relentlessly! There’s nothing worse than seeing him out in the field stomping his hooves, shaking his head, and swishing his tail. The retail industry is full of products that promise to ward of those nasty pests, but what are you actually spraying onto your best friend. Fly sprays can be full of unnatural chemicals. Why not try some of these all-natural solutions!
Refreshing Fly Blend by Nan Martin (Source: Equimed)
- 5-10 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 5-10 drops Tea Tree or Melaleuca Alternifolia Essential Oil
- 5-10 drops Idaho Tansy Essential Oil
- 5-10 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 5-10 drops Lemongrass Essential Oil
- 5-10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
Use a 32 oz. spray bottle and mix with water.
Eucalyptus Oil Fly Spray (Source: The Cowboy Way)
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Eucalyptus oil
- 1 cup water
Skin so Soft Recipe (Source: The Naturally Healthy Horse)
- 6 caps full of Avon’s Skin so Soft
- 1 cup white vinegar
- a good squirt of Ivory liquid soap
- mix with about 20 ounces of water
Natural Fly Spray (Source: The Prairie Homestead)
- 1 quart Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Citronella Essential Oil
There are so many DIY fly spray products, but I have had good results with these. Do you have an all-natural solution to keep the flies away? Please share!