As summer gets closer and closer, it’s hard to avoid getting bit by the travel bug! If you have livestock, it can be difficult to plan a vacation, but you still owe yourself a getaway.
If you’re ready to trade in boots for the beach, I’ve got the ultimate vacation destination for you…Destin, Florida.
Destin is a slice of southern paradise, just one hour away from Pensacola. I was lucky enough to live in Destin for many years, and I can’t recommend it enough to cowgirls who are in need of some serious rest and relaxation. Here’s my top tips for cowgirls wanting to travel to this beachy paradise.
1) Hit the beach: The best mornings in Destin are spent at the beach. Make sure to check out James Lee Park…it’s my personal favorite beach in Destin. The Crab Trap, one of Destin’s most popular restaurants, can be walked to from this beach.
2) Fit in some horse time: If you’re missing the saddle, make sure to go on a trail ride! Located right by Destin, Arnett’s Gulfside Stables offers relaxing rides by the beach.
3) Rent a boat: You’re not doing Destin right if you don’t rent a boat, jetski, or paddleboard! Everytime I visit Destin, I make sure to reserve at least three hours during my stay for some jetski time on the bay. I highly recommend Xtreme H2o for rentals.
4) Dine in paradise: One of my favorite spots in Destin is the Harborwalk Village. There’s lots of restaurants and shops lining the boardwalk, such as the famous Harry T’s.
5) Finish the night with a firework show: Speaking of Harborwalk, every Thursday evening during the summer months there’s a firework show that starts approximately at 9 pm!
Make sure to visit Pompano Joe’s at least once. Their food is SO good! Also, Pompano Joe’s outside bar is the best place to get daiquiris.
If you’re willing to drive an hour outside of Destin, and if you can handle freezing cold water, Ponce De Leon Springs will blow you away.
Consider going on a fishing excursion; After all, Destin is known as the World’s Luckiest Fishing Village! I highly recommend Huntress Charter Fishing.