Recently I touched on some of the many benefits of implementing flaxseed into your horse’s diet. One of the best ways to start giving your horse flax without just dumping a bunch onto their grain, is by using it in your horse treats. I have put together a recipe for banana and flaxseed treats that your steed is sure to love. Honestly, my horse always turned his lip up to bananas (literally), but he couldn’t resist these delicious and nutritious treats.
Banana Flax Snacks
- 2 bananas, peeled
- 2 tablespoons coconut syrup
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 medium mixing bowls
- Drying mat
- Cut bananas into slices that are approximately ¼” thick.
- Mix together the coconut syrup and water in one bowl, then add bananas to the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flax and chia seeds.
- Take bananas and coat them in the seed mixture, then place them on the drying mat.
- Once they’re mostly dried (takes about 30 minutes – enough time to clean your supplies!), place them in the dehydrator with a little space between each one.
- Dehydrate at 135° for ten hours.
- Take out to the barn to share!!
Store in a sealed container or baggy to keep fresh!