Loved by many, donkeys have stolen the hearts of people all across the world. From guarding livestock to halter breaking calves or yearling horses, these intelligent animals have many purposes around the farm. It’s time to set the record straight. Donkeys are incredible creatures that deserve our respect. These 10 facts prove just that!
- They have excellent memories. Some can remember things up to 25 years ago!
- Donkeys are considered all-terrain animals. They fare far better than horses in different environments.
- They can live up to 40 years!
- Their large ears allow them to hear up to 60 miles away in the proper conditions.
- If danger is sensed, the donkey will refuse to move. It’s their intelligence, rather than being stubborn.
- There are 3 different types- miniature: up to 36 inches, standard: 36-54 inches, and mammoth: more than 54 inches tall.
- They have a very efficient digestive system that can break down even the most inedible vegetation.
- Donkeys and horses can be crossbred to create mules or hinnies.
- Because of their origin in the desert and the high temperatures, donkeys rarely run. This instinct just isn’t there.
- They don’t like the rain and their hair isn’t waterproof.
There are so many reasons to love these amazing animals. If you’ve ever thought of owning one, then check out: 5 Reasons Why Your Farm Needs A Donkey! You won’t be disappointed when you add one of these cuties to your farm.