Our Newsletter to your inbox every week!
Banana Bread is a perfect breakfast or brunch meal. It’s easy and can be made so many different ways, I added plump blueberries and topped mine off with a lemon glaze.
For the Bread
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 stick butter, room temperature
- 2 medium sized bananas
- 2 medium sized eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blue berries (allow blueberries to thaw if using frozen)
For the Lemon Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole milk (any other kind of milk is okay to substitute)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of lemon rind, finely grated
- Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees
- Add flour, baking soda and salt to a small bowl and mix. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add sugar and butter, smooth together.
- Add in bananas and use a potato masher to break them up.
- Crack eggs and add sour cream and vanilla extract. Mix vigorously.
- Dump in the flour mixture and stir until blended.
- Add blueberries, stirring gently.
- Grease the bottom and insides of a loaf pan (my pan was a 9×5 inch) with a little bit of butter or cooking spray.
- Pour the batter in the pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake for one hour and then check on it by inserting a toothpick in the middle. I needed additional time and noticed by top was already browned enough so I put aluminum foil on top of my loaf pan and baked for another fifteen minutes. If was perfect after an hour and fifteen minutes, remember all ovens vary.
- While the banana bread bakes add powdered sugar, milk, lemon juice and rind to a small bowl. Mix well.
- Allow your banana bread to cool for at least an hour before attempting to remove it from the pan or topping with glaze. Glaze can be made the night before or ahead of time if desired.
- Drizzle bread with glaze and enjoy.
Recipe and photos originally shared on Horses & Heels.