Summer is a time for salads and it’s easy to skip the store bought croutons and use homemade instead. You can season your croutons with any spice combination and keep things interesting. Try out this simple recipe for zesty Mexican croutons!
- 4 cups French bread, cubed (lightly packed) This was about a 1/4 of my loaf of bread, feel free to double or triple this recipe as needed.
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pre heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the bread cubes, onion powder, salt, black pepper, chipotle, oregano & cumin to a large bowl.
- Toss with your hands or a spoon until the bread pieces are all evenly coated with seasonings.
- Add in olive oil & toss again until moisture is absorbed & distributed equally.
- Spread the croutons over a large foiled baking sheet & bake for about ten minutes, the edges should be a nice golden brown.
- Allow the bread to cool & set out for about thirty minutes before using.
- Store in an air tight container for up to a week in between uses.
Recipe and photos by Horses & Heels.