Unfortunately, not all rides go according to plan. While it’s better to try and ride out the situation, sometimes that’s just not a possibility. If you find yourself in a bad predicament, follow these steps to dismount safely.
- First, take both feet out of the stirrups.
- Let go of the reins and make sure they are out of the way.
- Lean forward and put both of your hands at your horse’s wither or on the horn of the saddle.
- Swing your legs back and forth a few times to gain momentum.
- Kick your right or left leg back as if dismounting regularly and brace against the horse’s neck as you push off.
- Lastly, bend your knees as you land on your feet. Make sure to get out of your horse’s way.
It’s a great idea to practice this dismount a few times on a quiet horse. Watch this video to see an emergency dismount in action!