An equine enrichment activity helps stimulate your horse’s mind through interaction. There are a few different ways to go about it. Some popular approaches include rope toys, objects that dispense treats, items that make sounds, etc… It can be a fun way to bust boredom or even slow down a fast eater.
What kind of horses can benefit from enrichment activities?
- Laid up from an injury
- Stall kept because of the weather
- Those in a smaller dry lot
- Retired horses
- Those that need desensitizing
- Horses that are bored
- Quick eaters
How do you create one?
- Locate a small kid’s pool
- Place some hay pellets or feed on the bottom
- Include dog or kid-safe toys (some can even squeak)
- Use toys that also entice like a horse ball that dispenses treats
You’ll want to start with only a few toys. Be careful with any sound ones, as they can cause a big reaction. You don’t want to frighten your horse.
Check out this video to see this enrichment activity being put to use by some curious horses.
Looking for more fun ideas? Head over to: These Toys Promise To Entertain Your Horse!