Even if you’ve spent your entire life with horses, these facts are sure to blow you away!
From the way their body functions to the silly things they do, horses are very interesting creatures. Let’s take a moment to get to know them a little better!
- Horses prefer sweet flavors over bitter or sour foods.
- There are 16 muscles in the ear of a horse, which allows them to move it around.
- Most horse brains weigh about 22 ounces. The human brain is nearly double that.
- A horse’s teeth take up more space in their head than their brain.
- The highest race speed was achieved by Winning Brew at 43.96 MPH.
- Human fingernails are the same type of protein that hooves are made of.
- The 1st Olympic sport in 680 B.C. was chariot racing.
- A horse’s teeth continue to grow for their entire lifespan.
- They have 7 common blood types.
- Horses display sadness over the death of a friend.
- The horses’ eye is bigger than all other land mammals.
- Horses consume 25 gallons of water a day, sometimes more!
- They see yellows and greens better than purples.
- A horse can eat 7 times its weight each year.
- It takes up to 12 months to regrow an entire hoof.
- Horses are unable to vomit.
- Male horses have more teeth than females.
- They can produce nearly 10 gallons of salvia a day.
- Those with pink skin can get a sunburn.
- After the horse’s eye adjusts, they can see better at night than a human.
For even more facts, check out these unbelievable horse laws!