A new season means changes are happening at your horse farm. Fall is a beautiful time of the year, but it also presents some difficulties. Make sure you and your horse are ready for this cooler season by completing this checklist.
- Stock up on hay for the winter
- Check your fields for broken fences, toxic plants, and branches
- Insulate your pipes
- Rate your horse’s body score
- Supplement with additional hay, if necessary
- Deworm your horse
- Purchase a waterproof sheet for those cold, rainy days
- Perform regular health maintenance like floating teeth and sheath cleaning
- Schedule fall vaccinations
- Wash/pack away fly sheets and mask
- Get winter blankets ready
Riding in Fall
- Adjust riding schedule to account for loss of daylight
- Be aware of hunting laws. You can find them out here: U.S. Fight and Wildlife Service.
- Wear an orange vest when trail riding
- Get winter riding clothes ready
Fall is a favorite of many. It offers scenic rides, cooler weather, and less bugs. This checklist will ensure you are ready to enjoy the season, rather than struggling through it.