Our Newsletter to your inbox every week!
Cornmeal crepes with fresh buttermilk cheese and blackberries
Courtesy of Whole Living
For the cheese:
- 6 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 4 1/2 teaspoons confectioners’ sugar
For the crepes:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt and freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- Vegetable oil, cooking spray
- 3 1/2 cups blackberries
- 1/4 cup creme de cassis
- 1 teaspoon confectioners’ sugar
- Make the cheese: Line a large fine sieve with 3 layers of cheesecloth, and set over a large bowl. Heat buttermilk in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, without stirring, until clear liquid separates from milk at edges or a candy thermometer clipped to the edge of the pan registers 95 degrees. Reduce heat to low; cook until thermometer registers 100 degrees. Remove from heat; let stand 3 minutes. Pour into sieve; cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until thick and creamy, about 3 hours (up to overnight). Before serving, stir in confectioners’ sugar.
- Make the crepes: Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg in a bowl. Whisk egg, egg white, milk, buttermilk, honey, and oil in another bowl; gradually add to flour mixture, whisking until smooth. Transfer to an airtight container; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Coat an 8-inch crepe pan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Remove from heat; pour in 2 1/2 tablespoons batter, swirling to coat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, flipping once, until edges are golden and center is dry, 45 to 60 seconds per side. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Toss together berries and cassis. Let stand 15 minutes, tossing often. Divide crepes among plates. Spread each with 1/4cup cheese. Sprinkle with berries; drizzle with juice from bowl. Dust with sugar.