Every rider should strive to be their best version! Fitness, nutrition and mindset can all influence your rides. You can start by making some simple changes to your daily routine.
Make these fitness changes!
1. Track your workouts with a fitness journal. This will allow you to see how much you’re progressing and what areas are being neglected. It’s simple- jot down what type of exercise you do and how frequent.
2. Stay flexible by stretching. Before each workout or ride, perform a series of different stretches. You can focus on your legs, arms, neck and back muscles. Not only will this loosen tight muscles, but you’ll improve your balance too!
3. Start your day with push-ups, crunches and squats. This will target your arms, legs and core muscles! Everything you need to be a great rider. You can begin with a few (5-10 repetitions) and increase the amount over time.
4. Try a workout class or video. From yoga and pilates to cycling and kickboxing, there are so many different options. You can improve your fitness in a new and fun environment.
5. Train in intervals. Basically, this involves a series of high intensity workouts followed by a rest period. It can be as simple as jogging for three minutes and then sprinting for one minute. You might try this for 15 to 20 minutes at a time.
6. Connect with an accountability partner. It can be helpful to have a friend on this fitness journey! You both can motivate each other and connect on common interests- like horses.
7. Walk after a meal. Even if it’s just a small 10-minute walk, it’ll improve digestion and keep your joints supple.
8. Drink water before, during and after workouts. This will help you restore any lost electrolytes. Water infused with herbs or fruits can even act as a detox by flushing out toxins.
9. Practice deep breathing. Not only does it relax tense muscles, but it lowers stress hormones.
10. Try some chairs exercises when in the office. Working all day? Some simple shoulder rotations or sitting push-ups can keep you active and avoid joint aches.
You’re one step closer to feeling and looking great! Fallon Taylor also has some great workout ideas, A Week’s Worth Of Workouts From Fallon Taylor.