Traditional treats, like apples and carrots, are always favorites, but why not spice things up and try some homemade horse treat recipes? They’re simple, easy, and only require a few ingredients. You’ll show your horse extra love when you take a few minutes out of your day to make him a yummy snack.
20-Minute Horse Treats
4-5 cups of oatmeal
2 cups of molasses
3 cups of grain
2-3 cups of flour
1 cup of water
2 tbsp of corn oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and then add the liquid ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly until the entire mixture is coated and moist.
- Add either liquid or solid until you’re able to form the mixture into small balls.
- Roll balls lightly in salt then press onto a cookie sheet. Or you can spread a layer of the mixture on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
No-Bake Sweet Grain and Apple Horse Snack
1 large apple (hollowed)
- Hollow apple and set aside.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Fill the hollowed apple with the mixed ingredients.
- Store in refrigerator if not used right away.
Baked Carrot Crisp Horse Treats
2 carrots, shredded
1.5 apple, shredded
1/3 cup molasses
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup bran
3/4 cup oatmeal
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Generously grease a muffin tin.
- Mix carrots and apples into a bowl with molasses, bran, water, flour, and oatmeal. Mixture should have a thick and doughy consistency. Add more bran if needed.
- Scoop dough into a muffin tin and bake in the oven for 30-50 minutes or until well cooked.
Yummy DIY horse treats are a fun project for the whole family. Get your hands messy and throw a baking party. Your horse will be extra glad you thought of him!
Recipes Courtesy of: Saratoga Stalls.