All horse owners know how important their horse’s gut is. Most have heard of colic or ulcers. These dreadful conditions and others can be avoided with a healthy digestive system. There are quite a few things you can do to maintain this delicate system!
Tips for a Healthy Gut
- If possible, feed your horse high-quality hay free choice. Horses are designed to nibble on hay or graze throughout the day.
- Fresh water should be available at all times. Make sure it’s not frozen or filled with algae.
- Smaller, frequent meals are better for your horse’s gut. A slow feeder net can help extend the hay.
- Store your grain away from your horses. If your horse accidentally gets into it, you should contact your vet immediately!
- Probiotics can be added to your horse’s diet to maintain overall gut health. They’re especially helpful for horses under a lot of stress.
Most horse owners can easily implement these five tips into their horse’s daily schedule. You will be doing them a great favor!