Our Newsletter to your inbox every week!
All horse owners know how important their horse’s gut is. Most have heard of colic or ulcers. These dreadful conditions and others can be avoided with a healthy digestive system. There are quite a few things you can do to maintain this delicate system!
Tips for a Healthy Gut
- If possible, feed your horse high-quality hay free choice. Horses are designed to nibble on hay or graze throughout the day.
- Fresh water should be available at all times. Make sure it’s not frozen or filled with algae.
- Smaller, frequent meals are better for your horse’s gut. A slow feeder net can help extend the hay.
- Store your grain away from your horses. If your horse accidentally gets into it, you should contact your vet immediately!
- Probiotics can be added to your horse’s diet to maintain overall gut health. They’re especially helpful for horses under a lot of stress.
Most horse owners can easily implement these five tips into their horse’s daily schedule. You will be doing them a great favor!