Trail rides are supposed to be relaxing and fun, but what happens when a problem arises? Hopefully you’re prepared! It’s important to keep a few items handy for those emergency moments. Before you hit the trails, check out this list of five important products you should always pack before a trail ride.
1) A snack: Pack yourself an energy bar, trail mix, or something quick and easy…and don’t forget to bring a bottle of water. A short trail ride can turn much longer in the blink of an eye. You’ll want to keep up your energy and stay hydrated.
2) Hoof pick: You never know what your horse might step on. A hoof pick is small enough to bring on the ride and could become very valuable. If your horse starts limping or favoring a leg, it’s probably a good idea to clean out their hoof and see if there’s something lodged. Even a small rock can cause a horse a lot of pain.
3) Cell phone: While you may imagine “getting away” for a bit without the ringing and beeping of a phone, these handy devices can actually save your life. It’s a good idea to bring one and keep it on silent. You can call someone in an emergency or even use the GPS feature.
4) Rain gear: Weather can be unpredictable! Thankfully, a lightweight poncho can be folded up and stored in your trail bag easily.
5) First-aid kit: A simple kit that includes bandages, aspirin, scissors, and rubber gloves is ideal to take along on rides.
To those experienced trail riders, what is your “must-have” trail item?