Our Newsletter to your inbox every week!
Donkeys definitely have a few distinguishing facts that set them apart from horses. For one, you can’t miss those long ears! They also make a unique sound that doesn’t sound like any horse whining. These special creatures are a favorite among barn owners. And for good reason!
1. A donkey has 62 chromosomes. That’s 16 more than a human!
2. The domesticated donkey is said to be a descendant of the wild ass, Equss africanus.
3. Over 44 million exist worldwide with China having the largest population.
4. They come in all sizes and shapes, but the most common color is gray with the rarest being ivory.
5. A donkey can remember a place or person from 25 years ago! Talk about an excellent memory.
6. Up to 95% of their meal is utilized! Food and water can be scare in desert conditions.
7. Their large ears actually help to keep them cool in hot climates.
8. A donkey can hear as far as 60 miles in the right conditions.
9. They can live up to 40 years old when properly taken care of.
10. Very curious by nature, donkeys don’t spook easily, but like to investigate.
How cool are those facts! These clever animals are pretty unique. I wouldn’t mind having one around the farm. What about you?
Need more convincing? Check out: 5 Reasons Why Your Farm Needs A Donkey!