Scrappy, thin, and broken manes are a thing of the past! It’s time to make your horse’s mane and tail healthy and beautiful. Grooming is an excellent way to spend time bonding with your horse, while helping him look and feel his best. Healthy hair comes from dedication and proper grooming habits. Follow these ten tips and you’ll have a different horse!
1. Invest in quality hay and grain that’s high in amino acids, protein, and various vitamins. If you start with the inside, then you’ll see benefits on the outside.
2. Try to limit how often you brush the hair. Over-brushing will cause breakage and pull it out. Tails can take many years to regrow.
3. When washing your horse’s tail, try the bucket method. Prepare a soapy bucket with water and horse shampoo. Next, completely submerge your horse’s tail in the bucket. You can lift it up and down to work the tail into a lather. Rinse when finished.
4. If your horse is rubbing his mane or tail off, figure out why. He could be rubbing his tail because of parasites or scratching his mane because of dry skin. It usually means he is experiencing discomfort.
5. Brush the dock of the tail and crest of the mane with a dandy brush. It will stimulate growth.
6. Wide-toothed combs are the only thing you should be brushing through the hair. Avoid human brushes.
7. Invest in a good shampoo and conditioner intended for horses only. Look for brands like Cowboy Magic or Absorbine.
8. A good detangler will allow you to remove knots easily. Work at the bottom and carefully untangle the knots with your fingers or a wide-toothed comb.
9. Consider bagging long tails that drag the ground. Tail bags come in fun colors and are easy to put on. Just make sure you still regularly care for the hair.
10. Be patient. If you have your horse on a great nutrition plan, regularly detangle and condition the hair, and take measures to prevent breakage.
Your horse is one step closer to looking his best!