It can be fun to feed your horse treats, but it’s important that the snack is safe! You may be surprised to find some relatively common items are actually toxic to your horse. You’ll definitely want to check out this list and keep your horse’s lips far from them!

Never feed these food products…

1. Chocolate: It contains a toxic chemical called theobromine.

2. Dairy: Your horse is lactose intolerant. Milk, ice cream, and cheese will give them diarrhea.

3. Meat: Horses are herbivores and can’t digest meat properly.

4. Tomatoes: This plant is part of the nightshade family and can cause colic.

5. Bread: It can create a blockage in the digestive system.

6. Unpitted Fruit: Your horse can choke. Furthermore, some seeds contain toxins.

7. Potatoes: They’re toxic, especially when green or rotten.

8. Avocado: The tree, leaves, bark, and fruit are all toxic.

9. Lawn Clippings: They may contain pesticides or toxic plants.

10. Moldy Hay: It can cause respiratory damage.

Always check with your equine nutritionist or vet for a detailed list of acceptable and toxic food products. You don’t want to be the reason your horse becomes sick!

Make sure to also check out: 5 Common Plants That Are Toxic! Keep your horse safe.