Horse ownership is very rewarding, but it also comes with some drawbacks. It’s not for everyone! Some horse lovers are more content to take riding lessons or lease. For those that do own horses, most couldn’t imagine life without them!
Pros of Horse Ownership
- Build a great connection with one horse. You learn their quirks and how to ride them better.
- You can be selective and get the horse you want.
- There’s no sharing that horse with other riders.
- You can ride anytime!
- More time is spent outdoors and in nature.
- Riding, grooming, and barn chores are good forms of exercise.
- You can teach your child responsibly.
- It’s a good way to make friends. Barn buddies are the best!
Cons of Owning a Horse
- They’re expensive! Boarding, farrier visits, vet care, and the list goes on…
- It’s hard to vacation when you have them on your property.
- Their care can be time consuming.
- You’ll be outside in all weather types including rain, snow, and extreme heat.
- You won’t have the opportunity to ride a variety of horses.
- Sometimes advancing requires selling your horse and buying a new one. This can be hard emotionally to do.
Ultimately, you’ll have to make the decision for yourself!