Buying a new horse is an exciting adventure! Whether it’s your first horse or your fifth, you should always come prepared with a list of questions to ask the seller. Use these questions as a starting point to make sure you get all the information you need!
Top Questions to Ask
- How old is the horse?
- What is their breed?
- How tall are they?
- Are they a mare, gelding, or stallion?
- Are they registered? If so, are papers available?
- What is the horse’s bloodlines?
- Can you describe their personality?
- What level rider would you suggest?
- How much training have they had?
- Can they load in a trailer?
- How are their ground manners?
- Who trained them?
- What is the horse used for?
- Do they wear shoes?
- Are you willing to release vet records?
- Are they current on shots, worming, and dental care?
- Do they have any vices or bad habits?
- Does the horse get along with others?
- How long have your owned them?
- Why are you selling the horse?
Each situation will be unique, but these questions are a great starting point when evaluating a new horse.