Red Steagall has been honored with a bronze statue in front of the Cowtown Coliseum in the Historic Fort Worth Stockyards. Mr. Steagall’s commitment to carrying on the tradition of the western heritage and cowboy lifestyle has brought him more than a lifetime’s worth of accolades and achievements. His hard work and dedication to the traditions he loves is admired and loved by all who meet him.
Some of his achievements include:
- Performed for heads of state, including a special party for President Reagan at the White House in 1983.
- Named the Official Cowboy Poet of Texas in 1991 by the Texas Legislature.
- Inducted into the Texas Trail of Fame 1999.
- Spirit of Texas Award and inducted into the Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame in Fort Worth in 2004.
- Inducted to the Texas Rodeo Cowboy Hall of Fame in Belton, Texas in 2005.
- Inducted into the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum Hall of Fame in Oklahoma in 2006.
- Named “2006 Poet Laureate of the State of Texas” at the Capital in Austin in the spring of 2005. Steagall is the first “cowboy” poet to be named poet laureate of Texas.
- 2016 Western Swing Monthly Man of The Year.
- 2018 Western Horseman Magazine Man of The Year.
- 2018 Recipient of the Golden Spur Award from the National Ranching Heritage Center.
- 2019 inducted into the Texas Literary Hall of Fame.
Click here for more history.