Shire horses are often recognized by their massive built and strength. They’re one of the largest horses in the world. Their size isn’t their only desirable characteristic… Shires are exceptionally beautiful, as well. They have many unique traits and a detailed history!
Facts About The Shire
- The breed is considered rare. At one point, Shires were endangered. Numbers began to rise in the 1970s, though not by much. Half the population of this breed resides in the United States.
- One of the world’s tallest horses was a Shire. Sampson stood 21.2 1/2 hands tall, and weighed an impressive 3,360 pounds. He was nicknamed ‘Mammoth’! It’s common to see stallions reaching over 17.2 hands.
- Disney fans are probably familiar with the film Brave. The main character, Merida, owns a black Shire named Angus. He’s a popular fictional horse!
- Not only is this breed tall, but they’re also strong! In fact, it was recorded that a single Shire pulled 29 tons, equivalent to 58,000 pounds. This breed in well-known in pulling contests.
- These horses are also great for riding. Some compete in lower level dressage, while others enjoy leisurely trail rides. Most have good temperaments and a willingness to please.
It’s easy to see why so many people are fascinated by this breed. They sure are incredible!