Many horse owners recognize the telltale signs of colic. These can include rolling and kicking at their belly. Are you aware of the more subtle ones though? Your horse may display a few early indicators that something is wrong. It’s important you know what they are, so you can react quickly!
Symptoms Indicating Colic
- Eating nothing or very little
- Little to no droppings
- Consistency of droppings changes
- Trouble passing gas
- Repeated attempts to lay down
- Circling or weaving their stall
- Repeated rolling
- Kicking or biting their flank
- Reduced gut sound
- Lethargic or depressed
- Lowered head position
- Changes in the color of their gums
- Skin abrasions over the eyes
- Increased heart and breathing rates
The earlier you recognize the signs of colic the faster you can respond. Your horse will have a better chance at beating this condition if treatment is started right away! Contact your vet as soon as possible.
Up to one in ten colic cases are consider severe. And up to 80% of those cases will result in death. Take this matter seriously… your horse’s life could depend on it!
Check out ‘7 Different Types Of Colic Your Horse Is At Risk For
‘ for more information!