Do you love Mac & Cheese? I am a big fan of gourmet style mac & cheese with a variety of ad-ins to make dinner or lunch more fun. Nothing is quite as satisfying as a big bowl of cheesy pasta after a day of working around the barn or riding. I wanted to share my version which involves jalapenos and bacon!
I always say you cannot go wrong with a dish that involves bacon or cheese so this meal is a double win!
- 4 cups uncooked pasta (any shape)
- 1 12 ounce package of bacon
- 1 small red onion diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 or 3 small jalapeno peppers, thinly diced or sliced (I only used two & had plenty of heat, remove the seeds if you want to cut back on heat even more).
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Cook the pasta according to its directions on the box. You can work on prepping the rest of the meal while it cooks, then drain & set aside.
- Add bacon, onions, jalapenos & black pepper to a skillet. Cook on a medium heat until the bacon is as crispy. Spread some paper towels over your counter & empty the skillet over them. Blot off excess grease & crumble the bacon with your hands or use scissors to cut it into small pieces.
- In a sauce pan add butter & whipping cream, melt butter over a low heat.
- Add the cheese cubes & stir occasionally until everything is melted.
- Add flour & mix in completely, bring the cheese sauce to a boil & remove it from heat.
- Combine pasta, bacon with jalapenos, onions & pour in the cheese sauce.
- Mix well, serve hot & enjoy, it’s great to to garnish with a few bacon pieces or jalapenos.
Recipe and photos originally shared on Horses & Heels.