Cowgirls, from trainers to pleasure riders, should know as much as they can about the equipment they use on their horses. Bits could be argued to be one of the most important tools used in riding. Bits are a direct line of communication between the rider and the horseman.
Let’s look at a couple of sources where you can learn more about bits!
- Watch Youtube videos. Youtube videos are a great way to learn from the comfort of your home! Here are a couple of videos that can get you started:
- Listen to podcasts. Podcasts were made for cowgirls! They can learn while they are working, which seems they always are. You can listen to podcasts while cleaning stalls, driving, or any other chore you need to finish up! Check out some links here:
- Talk to trainers. Trainers have a wealth of knowledge that you can tap into! You can set up meetings with local trainers to go over bits, their purposes, how to use them properly, and so on.
- Participate in Webinars. Webinars allow for active participation in a demonstration that goes over bits.
- Go to clinics. There are numerous clinics planned throughout the United States that specialize in giving information on bits. In-person clinics could allow you to bring your horse, so you can apply the information you learn right there!