Horse shows are a great way to connect with others and test your skills you’ve been working on. There are all different types from casual schooling shows to rated ones. You’ll never forget your first show, so make sure it’s a good experience. These tips will help!
Tips for Horse Shows
- Watch a few classes before your own. Ideally, you’ll attend a show without your horse first. This will give you a chance to get comfortable with the environment and the expectations.
- Bring a support system. Invite a spouse, friend, or your trainer to accompany you on this big day. Not only will that boost your confidence, but hopefully they’re willing to help.
- Create a checklist of everything you need to pack. Double check it before you head out!
- Pack yourself food and water. And remember to actually eat it! Furthermore, don’t forget about your horse. They will need hay and fresh water throughout the day.
- Give yourself plenty of time! Rushing around will only increase your nerves.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions! Most fellow riders are more than willing to help newbies.
- Make sure you and your horse look your best. They should be well groomed and their tack freshly cleaned.
- Give yourself time to warm up and allow your horse to get familiar with their new surroundings.
- Remember to breathe and smile!
- Don’t make it about the ribbons, instead go out there and have a FUN time!
Who’s ready to get out there?