Our Newsletter to your inbox every week!
For one reason or another you may find that you have to sell your horse. It doesn’t have to be a bad experience. In fact, selling can be easy with the right steps. You can find your horse a great home and feel confident doing it. It just takes a little planning!
Tips for Selling a Horse
- Groom your horse really well. Now’s your chance to clean them up- brighten their whites, trim up whiskers, pull their mane, etc…
- After your horse is looking their best, take some amazing pictures. Some may even hire a professional photographer.
- Nowadays, buyers will expect a video. In addition to pictures, you should videotape your horse moving on the ground or under saddle.
- Ensure their paperwork is in order, to include registration papers, Coggins, and show results.
- Write a catchy description of the horse. You want them to stand out. Make sure everything you include is truthful though!
- Set a price that is comparable to similar horses. The right price will help a horse get sold quicker.
- List your horse on social media sites like Facebook. There are various groups that focus on breeds, disciplines, and your state or local area.
- Be prepared to answer questions and chat with perspective buyers. This part can become time consuming, but is necessary for a sale.
- Check with your home insurance before you let anyone ride on your property. You want to make sure you’re covered.
- Put everything in writing! You should also request a deposit to show the buyer is serious.
You’re one step closer to finding your horse a great home!