It’s impossible to see Tombstone
too many times, right? If it’s on your most watched list, you’re probably confident that you know everything about the famous Western…but did you know these five facts?
1) Val Kilmer almost didn’t play Doc Holliday:
It’s hard to imagine the famous film without Val Kilmer, but the role almost went to Willem Dafoe!
2) The real Wyatt Earp’s 5th cousin acted in the film:
Wyatt Earp’s 5th cousin, also named Wyatt Earp, played the role of Billy Claiborne.
3) The lines spoken during the gunfight at the O.K. Corral are reportedly historically accurate:
Famous lines such as, “You’re a daisy if you do” were said in real life.
4) There were some left out members of the Earp family:
Did you know there were actually nine Earp siblings? Not all of them resided in Tombstone, but it is said that brothers James and Warren lived there. James is said to have been eating lunch during the shootout, while James was on a trip away from town.
5) The tombstone shown at the beginning of the movie is based off a real one:
Does anyone remember the tombstone featured in the movie that says, “Here lies Lester Moore, Four Slugs from a .44, No Les No more?” Well, that tombstone actually exists in real life, and it can be found in a Tombstone cemetery. For the film, a replica was made.