Being a great rider is more than just having lots of experience, though that helps! These riders have a special way about them. They understand their horse and become true partners when they climb into the saddle. You can’t help but watch this team in awe.
Qualities of a Great Rider
- They strive for clear communication while riding.
- These riders don’t take their anger or frustrations out on the horse.
- Their horse respects and trusts them.
- They know how hard to push and when to back down.
- They put their horse’s well-being above all else.
- Great riders have mastered patience.
- They’re determined and set realistic goals.
- These riders are passionate about the sport and ride because they love it.
- When a problem arises, they don’t back down instead they solve it.
- They have a certain level of fitness that makes riding easy.
- They’re always willing to learn more!
- In difficult situations, they stay calm and collected.
- They know how to use their body to encourage and support their horse’s movement.
- They’ve put in the time, which includes riding regularly and getting professional instruction.
- These riders are couragous and not afraid of a good challenge.
It often takes years to truly understand horses and ride well. If you’re willing to put in the time and practice, then you can be a great rider too!