Ever need a little reward for your horse after a good workout, but don’t want to spend a fortune on store-bought treats? Well, these easy-to-make treats are not only tasty to our four-legged friends, but are also quite good for them! Made with only four ingredients, they are something you can whip up without a hassle and no previous culinary expertise! Your horse and dog are sure to thank you!
Homemade Treat Recipe
Yield: approximately 12 treats
Ingredients & Supplies
- ½ cup quick oats* (can also use steel-cut for horses, but only quick oats for dogs)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large carrot
- ½ cup all-purpose flour*
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowl
1. Preheat oven to 350° and prepare baking sheet by covering with parchment paper.
2. Grate carrot into ½ cup of fine pieces.
3. Mix all ingredients together in mixing bowl.
4. Using a tablespoon, drop clumps onto the baking sheet approximately 1½ -2 inches apart.
5. Bake for 18-20 minutes, depending on the texture you would like to achieve.
6. Share with your four-legged friends to enjoy!
Put remaining treats in the fridge after they’re cooled. They will stay fresh for up to one week.
*Be aware that this recipe contains oats and flour. Note your horse and/or dog’s dietary needs/restrictions before distributing.
These treats aren’t the only horse DIY to try this week. Want to keep bugs at bay? We’ve got just the thing.