- Water makes up 50% of your horse’s total body weight. They need at least 25 gallons a day!
- Horses can sleep standing up by locking their leg joints.
- The first known horse was called “dawn horse” or “Eohippus.” They existed 55 million years ago.
- Your horse is unable to vomit.
- There are roughly 58 million horses in the world.
- A horses’s brain weighs 22 ounces, which is half of a humans.
- Fear of horses? It’s known as equinophobia.
- Horses were domesticated by humans around 3,500 B.C.
- A horse as 10 different muscles in their ear, compared to just 3 in yours.
- Stallions and geldings have 44 teeth whereas, mares have 36-40.
- Your horse’s teeth take up more space in their head than their brain.
- In France, you might spot horse meat on the menu. Some countries find it a delicacy.
- The oldest animal carving ever found, roughly 31,000 years ago in Germany, is of a horse.
- Horses’ eyes are 9 times larger than peoples.
- Your horse’s heart is the same size as a basketball. It weighs 9 to 10 pounds.
- Horses produce around 10 gallons of saliva daily.
- Horses can only breathe through their nose.
- Your horse is able to read your emotions, such as sadness, anger, and happiness.
- The first cloned horse was a Haflinger in 2003.
- There are over 160 different breeds of horses.
20 Wild & Interesting Facts About Horses
You learn something new everyday!
Horses are pretty cool animals! Just when you think you know everything, something new comes to surface. There’s always cool facts to learn about your horse. It can be fun and even helpful to know some of these things! Test your knowledge and see how many you already knew.